Fitzy's 5 for the 4th...
I bartended for a long time. I started making Cape Cloth hats with bartending tips. So to harken back to the glory days, here are five great cocktails to make at home and enjoy over the 4th of July Week aka the Start of Summer here on Cape Cod. We'll keep it easy and assume you have a bottles of Vodka, Gin, Tequila. Something like Cuantro or Triple Sec comes in very handy when you're making drinks, so grab some on your next trip to the store. Soda and Tonic Water are essential mixers as well.
I love Tequila (preferably good Anejo neat or on the rocks), but for the sake of this, we'll make a great one without sour mix because that stuff is gross and wreaks havoc on your stomach. The lime and splash of grapefruit cut any bite of tequila while keeping this refreshing for summer.
- Mix 3oz of good tequila and 1.5oz of Cuantro (or triple sec if we're on a budget) with ice.
- Shake that shit up. Hard.
- Squeeze half a lime in there and drop the shell in.
- Fill remaining space almost to the top with soda water. Splash with equal parts orange and grapefruit juice.
We'll take the other half of the lime you have left over from that marg and use it here. Same goes for the Cuantro/Triple Sec. Grab your vodka bottle and some cranberry juice.
- Mix 3oz of vodka, 1.5oz of Cuantro, and 1oz of Cranberry together in a tumbler with ice.
- Squeeze in lime. Throw in discarded shell.
- Shake the shit out of it.
- Shake it until there is frost on the outside of the glass and your hand is cold.
- Strain it into a fancy glass
Vodka/Gin + Soda/Tonic:
No need to open or close a tab. Season to taste.
Rosé or Good Beer
The warmer the day, the colder the drink
Sweet, but sneaky strong
- 1oz of Mt. Gay Rum
- 1/2oz of Bacardi White Rum
- 1/2oz of Malibu Rum
- Equal Parts Orange and Pineapple Juice
- Shake together
- Top with splash of Grenadine